At Magellan International School our preschoolers explore and learn in a nurturing, safe and enriching environment. Students in the preschool program are immersed in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) and guided by teachers who provide experiences and activities that promote cognitive, social, emotional, creative and physical growth.
Preschool teachers support the unique strengths and interests of every child and work to build social skills, as well as fine and gross motor skills both inside and outside the classroom. Multilingual skills are developed through 80 percent of instructional time in Spanish and 20 percent in English.
- Language Immersion – 80% in Spanish, 20% in English
- School Day – 8:30 AM – 3 PM (both early drop off and after school care available)
- Daily Nap Time (2 hours for PP3, 1 hour for PP4, students not napping will quietly rest)
- Minimum of three recesses (brain breaks) outdoors on playgrounds per day (weather permitting)
- Separate Library, English, Music, Art and Physical Education classes throughout the week
- Morning snack and lunch time
The preschool environment at Magellan is caring and nurturing, with highly qualified lead teachers, averaging 4 years of experience at Magellan and over 18 years in teaching. Through play and developmentally-appropriate classroom exploration, Magellan preschool students gain experience with research, teamwork, public speaking, empathy and problem solving.
Throughout the day, preschool students at Magellan regularly take “brain breaks” by moving away from learning and problem solving activities. This practice allows our kids to refresh their thinking and prepares the brain to process new information and become more aware of their thoughts, feelings and choices. “Brain breaks” reset their brains to be more focused and calm when approaching new concepts or problems.
Learn more about the IB’s Early Years Program (Preschool).
Watch a video about the IB’s Early Years Program (Preschool).