Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math learning is fully integrated into the Primary Years Programme (PYP) curriculum, with opportunities across all units of inquiry.
Mathematics in the PYP is divided into five strands and utilizes the Singapore Math(c) approach as a tool to master problem solving through five interrelated components: concepts, skills, processes, attitudes and metacognition. This approach stresses the importance of the development of mathematical thinking skills and the use of information technology. Skill development focuses on data handling, measurement, shape and space, pattern and function, and numbers. Students will:
- Develop a deep understanding of mathematical concepts.
- Take their time to master a concept rather than attempting a rapid, but superficial, understanding of many concepts.
- Understand the “Why?” not just the “How?”
- Develop algebraic thinking.
- Develop problem solving skills,
- Explore various ways to solve a problem.
- Have tools to self-assess their progress and thinking skills.
- Review mathematical concepts every year each time at a higher and more difficult level.
- Participate in Math enrichment and extension programs through differentiated learning.
Science in the Primary Years Programme (PYP) at MIS is a unique approach to teaching and learning through the inclusion of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) within the PYP Curriculum framework. This approach enables students to develop an understanding of the Scientific Method. Science is integrated into transdisciplinary units of inquiry with a focus on building conceptual understanding, critical thinking and research skills. Students are encouraged to identify, reflect on and ask questions about major scientific concepts that drive each inquiry. Students also learn scientific skills and are taught to handle tools, record and compare data, make accurate and detailed observations and use them to formulate explanations.
The PYP Science curriculum is divided into four strands:
- Living Things
- Earth and Space
- Materials and Matter
- Forces and Energy
Learn more about the Information & Digital Literacy program in the Primary School at MIS.
In Middle School at MIS, students are immersed in expansive opportunities to learn across Science, Technology, Engineering and Math disciplines through their studies. Under the guidance of exceptional faculty, students continue inquiry-based learning with problems and projects across the disciplines. The interdisciplinary approach to learning builds knowledge in defined subjects as well as valuable skills in teamwork, communication, design thinking and creativity.