Sustainability Programs at Magellan
In 2010, Magellan established its first sustainability program to lead and support initiatives and activities that foster sustainability within the school, enhance its mission, and promote the IB learning profile.
Sustainability in action at Magellan
- Nutrition and Wellness – Promote informed choices to achieve a balance in nutrition and well-being.
- Service Learning – Cultivate community interactions with local and international organizations.
- Organic Gardening – Provide opportunities for outdoor learning through gardening including the Gardening Club.
- Zero Waste – Reduce the amount of waste generated by the school through reducing, reusing, recycling, upcycling and composting.
- Non-Toxic Commitment – Identify ways to promote a healthy school environment and reduce toxins via water, food, air and cleaning products.
- Renewable Energy and Conservation – Promote actions to address MIS’ carbon footprint including Cool the Earth Campaign and Austin Energy Green Choice.
In addition, Magellan is an active partner with Green Gate Farms (Magellan Community Supported Agriculture) and Texas Coffee Traders (Magellan Organic Blend).
Field Trips & Subject Matter Expert Speakers
Magellan also maintains partnerships for field trips and subject-matter expert speakers with organizations whose sustainable values are in alignment with the schools’ including:
- Families In Nature
- Green Gate Farms
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hausbarn Farm
- McKinney Roughs Nature Park
- National Wildlife Federation
- Sanctuary Holistic Kitchen
- Sustainable Food Center
- Ten Thousand Villages
- Texas Family Outdoor
- Texas Park & Wildlife
- Wheatsville Coop
Becoming an Eco-School!
Healthy Eating Around Magellan!
In addition to a focus on healthy eating habits at Magellan, as a part of their Primary Years Program Exhibition, a group from 5th grade researched and built a map of locations around Magellan to find healthy food. This is a great tool and resource for our entire community and an important achievement for the students.